Deciding to landscape your yard can be a big investment in both time and money. Here are a few tips to help you have a positive landscaping experience.
- Do have an idea. Go in with an idea of what you want to achieve. Are you landscaping for privacy? Do you want to portray a certain aesthetic? It is easy to get overwhelmed with all of the choices for look and feel. Going in with a plan helps to alleviate some of the stress and wasteful spending. Also, keep in mind the many uses of your yard. You don’t want to landscape away your favorite reading spot or your makeshift baseball diamond.
- Don’t ignore good advice. If you decide to consult a landscaper or landscape architect, understand that they may have good advice for you that does not necessarily meet your vision. Understand that they have the experience and the knowledge of what may work in your climate and with the overall look you want to achieve. This isn’t to say that you must accept whatever they advise, but do know that this is something they do for a living and ideally have had a number of years of experience in this field.
- Do your research. If you find a landscaper online, check their status on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. While the BBB is not the be-all, end-all, it is a good place to start. If there is a business you really like, and their score isn’t great, do not be afraid to call and inquire. Surely, by the way they handle the phone call, you will be able to tell if it is something to be concerned about, or possibly one difficult to please customer bent on destruction.
- Don’t go overboard. Remember that less is more. Let’s say you want a waterfall in your backyard. Try not to commission one that rivals the size of your home. Little pieces here and there are great for forming a cohesive look.
- Do landscape for all seasons. The seasons change and if you landscape in the fall, try not to forget about the summer. Will you need shade? Where should the shade be? If you install a barbecue, will it be kept out of the elements? These are things you need to think about to ensure the longevity of your investment, and the usefulness of your yard.
With these five simple tips you are well on your way of having a great experience designing the landscaped yard of your dreams.